Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 1 of Mexico, Part 2


This picture is from the drive on the way to Dr. Rumbaut's office. There must be elections coming up since half the billboards has campaign ads on them. These people on stilts appeared to be passing out flyers for some candidate.

Other than that, I arrive to Dr. Rumbaut's office uneventfully. His office is very nice and sleek. He was with some other patients and I had to fill out some paperwork while him and Dr. Richard were with other people. I meet with Dr. Richard first, who is Dr. Rumbaut's assistant. He is a younger guy and a cool guy. He spent a couple years as an exchange student in Oklahoma. He interviews me and talks about the procedure. He gives me a book prepared by Dr. Rumbaut with everything you need to know post-operation. He also gives me a "gift box" with Gatorade, bottled water, tea packets, Splenda, Isopure protein drink, Augmentin(antibiotic), and Norflex(muscle relaxer) to use after hospital discharge while I'm in Mexico.

I then meet with Dr. Rumbaut. He shows me a Power Point of the procedure and asked if I had any questions. I didn't since I've researched this to death. He spent part of his childhood in Akron, Ohio so we spent more time talking about how he likes the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Cleveland Browns and baseball more than anything else.

Once I'm done, I wait for the hotel shuttle to pick me up. I get picked up and arrive at the hotel uneventfully. While I check in, I buy $20USD worth of Pesos. The hotel was exchanging them at $12.50MXN to $1USD. After I get my room and get situated, I decide to wander to the H-E-B to get a calling card and to look around. This place was a foodie's paradise! I so wish I could have tried some of the meats and cheeses that they had in their deli section and the seafood at the seafood counter.


Zucaritas, Son grandes!

I looked all over the place for calling cards since they are usually displays of calling cards, gift cards and the like at grocery stores in the US. Since H-E-B is an American-owned grocery chain, I figured that that would be the case but it wasn't the case. I finally figured out that I had to get one from the cashier. I get in line and try to ask for a calling card and since I speak like 10-15 words of Spanish and that the cashier didn't speak any English, I was struggling. Luckily, a guy about 18-20 was right behind me and spoke English, he translated and told the cashier what I wanted and finally got my $100MXN calling card which is about $8USD which gave me about 130 minutes of talk time to the US. I got back to the hotel and called it an evening. That concludes my first day of the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott,
    So I cant wait to hear about the surgery day. I am going to this same Dr in a week. Did you travel alone? I am traveling alone. Being a young woman Im a little nervous. Also, did they have internet connection in the hotel room that was set up for you? Im wondering if I should bring my laptop.

    ReplyDelete