Sunday, April 19, 2009

First Post

I started this blog to document the events that will lead to me going to Mexico for Lapband surgery. As anyone who's known me for a long time has known that I've always been overweight. I progressed from cute and chubby as a kid to an obese adult. I felt I was in decent shape for someone my size back when I was studying martial arts and later playing lacrosse in college. Then getting married, divorced, and moving to the South led my weight to get really out of hand.

When my grandmother offered me the opportunity to get a Lapband installed, I jumped at the chance. For the past two months, I've been researching my options and doctors. At first, I decided on a doctor in Tijuana but with the escalating drug violence taking place there and after reading a couple bad reviews on the doctor, I decided to look further. After talking to a lot of prior patients, I decided on Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey.

You all must be thinking: "You're insane to get surgery done in Mexico!". Well, I was somewhat apprehensive but after the research and talking to people who've done it, I am no more concerned as I would be if I had it done in this country. The cost savings and lack of bureaucracy makes getting the surgery done in Mexico very appealing. Everyone knows the US health system and insurance system is broken and bureaucracy would make the Soviet Union blush.

Last week, we set a date for my surgery, July 2nd. I will be spending Independence Day in Mexico but it was the best time for me since the work holiday means one less day I'm off from work and it'll be slow at work so I was able to get the time off. This week, I will have to apply for my passport and book my airfare to Monterrey. Here is what I have to do before the surgery:

- Before two weeks before surgery: mail $500 deposit to surgery coordinator
- Ten days before surgery: start pre-op liquid diet
- Five days before surgery: switch to clear liquid diet
- July 1: fly from Birmingham to Monterrey
- Later that day: pre-op tests like ultrasound, blood work, etc.
- July 2: surgery
- July 5: fly back to Alabama
- July 6: Return to work - no physical labor!!!
- Four to six weeks after surgery: get first Lapband fill

No comments:

Post a Comment